Welcome to French
"Avoir une autre langue, c'est posséder une deuxieme âme "
The Modern Foreign Language team aim to:
- Broaden students' horizons to accept that our society/culture is not the only one and to consider the importance and relevance of other societies. We aim to develop a positive attitude to diversity within the British Isles, the European Community and the wider world.
- Develop students' communicative skills and give them an awareness of the nature of language and to boost their literacy skills.
- Give students a feeling of success with small, structured activities and thus to develop self-confidence.
- Help students to achieve skills and qualifications that will be of benefit when looking for employment, or that will enable them to study further.
- Have a positive learning environment in classrooms, recognising different learning styles so that all students can achieve to the best of their ability.
- Enable students to develop personalised learning and thinking skills such as memorising, analysis, communication and research.
- Provide students with opportunities to visit the target language country through exchange programmes with our partner school in Arques, France to develop their language skills and communicate with people from another country.
Key Stage 3:
In Year 7 dual linguist students can also study French and will have 2 lessons per fortnight, as well as their Spanish lessons. The course content comprises units about the local area and weather, school life, holidays and free time activities. We cover simple tenses, expressing opinions and justifying responses, adjective position and agreement and prepositions of place.
The lessons are supported by a vast range of in-house and bought in additional materials. We are constantly updating topical and ICT resources and we endeavour to use as many authentic resources from France and French speaking countries as possible.
The Year 7 course content includes describing yourself and others, school life, leisure time, house and home life. We cover present and simple future tenses, nouns (gender and plurals), adjective position and agreement, prepositions of place, possessive adjectives, expressing opinions and justifying responses.
The Year 8 course covers a range of topics including food and drink, the Battle of Hastings and the History of Long Eaton. We extend and deepen grammar introduced in Year 7, also building up students' knowledge of key tenses and expressing opinions.
Key Stage 4:
In Years 9, 10 and 11, we follow the AQA Exam board covering: Personal Information, Sports and Leisure, Education, Work and Employment, Future Plans, Media and Culture, Travel and Tourism at Home and Abroad. All students have 4 lessons per fortnight.
The department believes that it is vital that students learning a foreign language spend some time in the target country. We feel this is an important part of the 'languages experience', one which makes the learning process come alive.
We have an ongoing link with a school in Arques, Northern France. Our Year 9 and 10 students have the opportunity to take part in an exchange, spending one week in Arques. Recent visits have included trips to the trenches in Northern France and to the City of Lille. We also host our French exchange partners, taking them to experience sights such as York and London.
Here is the link to the French Exchange Site created by our partner school Collège Pierre Mendes d'Arques. There are photos from our adventures in England and France!