Trust websites

Downloads

16+ Application Form

16+ Prospectus

Welcome to Art

"An artist's early work is inevitably made up of a mixture of tendencies and interests, some of which are compatible and some of which are in conflict. As the artist picks their way along, rejecting and accepting as they go, certain patterns of enquiry emerge. Their failures are as valuable as their successes: by misjudging one thing they form something else, even if at the time they do not know what that something else is."

(Bridget Riley)

The Department's aims are:

• To create a structured atmosphere where all students work to their full potential.
  • To encourage creative thinking, self expression, independence and problem solving.
  • To develop the appropriate skills and techniques needed to achieve the highest levels of attainment.
  • To understand the contribution of the artist and the designer.

The Art Department at The Long Eaton School prides itself on making art meaningful, enjoyable and accessible to all students. We provide a unique means of self-expression, whilst promoting confidence and desire in students to produce works of quality. Making connections and expressing ideas is key to developing students who are independent thinkers and have a real passion for Art.

In order to achieve these objectives, an understanding of the formal elements of art and design is essential, together with technical competence in a wide range of media, including painting, drawing, collage, print, mixed-media, photography, ceramics, sculpture, installation work, digital art, photoshop editing, textiles, fabric work, sewing, batik etc. Practical demonstrations are central to the teaching ethos of the department, providing an effective means of introducing new skills and techniques, whilst generating confidence. A broad range of disciplines are taught as we believe students can use this to progress onto a variety of Art, Craft and Design based degrees and careers.

Key Stage 5

There is usually one group of Year 12 and 13 students that studies this subject for nine one-hour periods over a two week timetable. They follow a scheme of work reflecting the requirements of the OCR syllabus.

Year 12 is used as a skill building and exploration year, it is an opportunity to truly refine skills and develop confidence in a range of media, visit galleries and improve contextual understanding and develop independent thinking, become familiar with the exam criteria so students feel prepared for A-level in Year 13. At the end of Year 12 students choose their major theme and begin working towards their coursework project.

OCR A Level Art, Craft and Design - 1 coursework module is worth 60% and the final exam is worth 40%

Course Details

Next event

see all events

Latest tweets

follow us on Twitter @TLES16