Trust websites

Downloads

16+ Application Form

16+ Prospectus

Welcome to Applied Science

"The hardest problems of pure and applied science can only be solved by the open collaboration of the world-wide scientific community." 

Kenneth G Wilson

http://www.longeaton.derbyshire.sch.uk/assets/Science/Applied_Science.jpg

The world in which we live in is fast paced and highly competitive. The media is constantly bombarding us with news of new innovations, discoveries and scientific material and we have to be able to comprehend and digest this information objectively. Additionally, the UK has a strong scientific and technology sector and increasingly requires more scientifically literate people to be employed in these areas.

The BTEC Applied Science course is taught within a vocational context and this means that you will not only learn the science, but also how it is used in real life organisations. BTECs are not exam based qualifications, instead, students study real life, work based case studies and complete projects and assessments which contribute to the achievement of each unit studied. In order to complete each unit, students must achieve against a set of known outcomes. The assessment criteria address theory with practical exercises. The assessment process is on-going so students can analyse and improve their own performance throughout their course, much as they would do in the real workplace.

Key Stage 5

At level 3 students can study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science. The course lasts two years and covers four units.

UNIT 1: Principles and Applications of Science I - Covers key concepts in biology, chemistry and physics.

UNIT 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques Industry – Introduction to quantitative laboratory techniques, calibration, chromatography, calorimetry and laboratory safety which are relevant to the chemical & life science industries.

UNIT 3: Science Investigation Skills - Skills needed in planning a scientific investigation: recording, interpreting, draw scientific conclusions & evaluate evidence.

UNIT 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems – Physiology of human body systems.

The qualification is graded Pass, Merit, Distinction, Distinction*.

With a range of assessments: 2units are external assessments (58%) comprising a Task and a Written exam, and 2 internal assessments (42%) both are assignments.

Learners develop the transferable and higher order skills which are valued by higher education providers and employers. The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many courses if taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two-year programme of learning, including, but not exclusively, those which are science-related.

Course Details

Next event

see all events

Latest tweets

follow us on Twitter @TLES16