Trust websites

Downloads

16+ Application Form

16+ Prospectus

Welcome to ICT

"I think it's fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we've ever created. They're tools of communication, they're tools of creativity, and they can be shaped by their user."

Bill Gates

The increasing use of computing technology in all aspects of society makes confident, creative and productive use of Information and Computing Technology an essential skill for life. I&CT capability encompasses not only the mastery of technical skills and techniques, but also the understanding to apply these skills purposefully, safely and responsibly in learning, everyday life and employment. I&CT capability is fundamental to participation and engagement in modern society.

I&CT can be used to find, develop, analyse and present information, as well as to model situations and solve problems. At The Long Eaton School, we have developed a curriculum that enables rapid access to ideas and experiences from a wide range of people, communities and cultures, and allows students to collaborate and exchange information on a wide scale. Students have the opportunity to follow a programme of study in I&CT that enables them to experience the full range of diverse fields that are open to I&CT practitioners.

Key Stage 5:

At Key Stage 5 students have two options to extend their study:

Firstly students can continue the theme from the vocational route at Key Stage 4, by progressing onto the Level 3 Cambridge Technical Course. This two year course allows students to extend their knowledge from Years 10 and 11 to an 'A' Level standard, by covering topics such as Fundamentals of ICT, Global Information, Cyber Security and The Internet of Everything. Students are assessed on this course with a mixture of External Examinations and Internally set tasks.

Secondly, students can follow the Computing 'A' level. Students progressing on this route will extend their knowledge of programming by learning Visual Basic. This will give students the opportunity to explore more complex concepts such as OOP, Event Driven programming and Declarative programming. Students also develop theory elements and explore wider aspects of Data Representation, Networking and Big Data. Students are assessed by two externally assessed papers and by also completing a Non Exam Assessment. They will be required to research the requirements for a client based problem, before designing, creating and testing a system to solve this issue in a programming environment of their choice.

Course Details - Computer Science

Course Details - ICT

Next event

see all events

Latest tweets

follow us on Twitter @TLES16